The New Line of Telegraph.
August 25, 1870
The Southern and Atlantic Telegraph Company has put in an office in Richmond, allowing for communications across the entire continent at recently lowered fees.
The Southern and Atlantic Telegraph Company having opened an office at 1114 Main street, two doors above the Dispatch office, announce that they are now prepared to accommodate the public by the transmission of messages at reduced rates to all points North and West. The Southern and Atlantic wires connect at Washington with opposition lines traversing the continent, and also with the Atlantic cables. The motto of the line, as it appears on the blanks before us, is " Reduced rates; opposition to monopoly; prompt dispatch." Mr. W. W. Thweatt, a most accomplished and experienced gentleman, is the managing operator of the Richmond office, and Mr. Edwin Sully, a gentleman favorably known throughout Virginia, is in charge of the business department.
About this article
“The New Line of Telegraph.,” Reconstructing Virginia, accessed September 28, 2022, https://reconstructingvirginia.richmond.edu/items/show/1822.